Paired with a hot cup of coffee, this easy banana bread is the perfect sweet treat and it gets better with age, meaning you don’t have to gobble it all down straight away. You don’t have to but no one is stopping you…
It’s based on Madeleine Shaw’s banana
Be sure to use very ripe bananas otherwise it will lack that vital
4 very ripe bananas
110g butter or coconut oil, melted
250g light brown sugar or coconut sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
275g rice flour, plain flour, spelt flour or ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarb soda
1 vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp almond, rice or whole milk
1 tbsp chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
2. If using a vanilla pod, cut it open lengthways and scrape out the seeds.
3. Put the vanilla seeds or the vanilla extract in a food processor with all the other ingredients and blitz until smooth.
4. Pour the mix into the tin and sprinkle the walnuts and some brown sugar on the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes. At this point, check to see if a knife comes out clean when pierced
6. Cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Once cool, enjoy on its own or with a generous spread of butter.